Arts + Wellbeing
Happy World Mental Health Day readers! To celebrate we thought we’d do a wee post to say a bit about our work towards positive mental health at Creative Steps.
The Creative Steps programme is a highly successful programme which has been developing for several years, drawing on our experience of working with mental health service-users. We believe that joining a peer support group with arts and crafts activities can have a big impact on mental health. It’s a chance to get out of the house, make friends, have a blether, get the creative juices flowing, overcome personal challenges, and to spend time with others who are in the same boat.
What do our members say?
It is important for us to get feedback on the project from our members. We’ve organised a few sessions over the past month for the groups to have a wee chat about the project and the effect it has had on their mental health. Here are some highlights:
- ‘I feel safe and secure in class and supported by everyone. I’m so pleased that I started this class because I find it therapeutic doing crafts, especially in a group’
- ‘I feel so much better after the group. I try to remember that good feeling when I don’t want to leave the house’
- ‘I feel like I’m part of the world now’
- ‘I used to think that I was the only one with mental health problems, but I’ve realised lots of people struggle and that I’m not alone’
- ‘Being part of this project has given me the confidence to volunteer running craft groups myself’
These comments speak for themselves! It’s clear from these powerful messages that everyone in the groups can be proud of their journey and the support they provide each other every week 😊.
What can I do if I’m struggling with mental health problems?
Mental health problems can affect anyone, at any time, the good news is that there is lots of support available for those who need it. Here are some of the services you can contact for support:
Breathing Space – a free, confidential phone and web-based service for people in Scotland experiencing low mood, depression or anxiety.
Call 0800 83 85 87
Lifelinks – for counselling, stress management and group work
Call 0141 552 4434
Join Creative Steps!
Entry is by referral if you are currently experiencing depression or anxiety or any other mental health condition. Contact Gallery 966 in Govan Tel. 0141 387 2596, Email email@example.com
Members making wreaths in the group this morning!
By Hayley Gardiner